Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Northern Lights Hunt - Bonus Part

"No offence, but I hope I don't see you again," I said to the barman as we left Agenturet beer and winebar.  In one of Tromso's oldest buildings, it was such a nice space to sit and relax in, we'd returned on our surprise extra night.

So far in life, I've had quite good luck with flights.

I made up for this in one trip, here are the reasons why my flights were delayed:
  • Fog at destination
  • Crew delayed because of a previous delayed flight
  • Missed connection
  • Too windy to land
  • Too snowy to take off
  • De-icing machine busy
  • Technical fault whilst trying to take off
  • Plane switched to one with fewer seats, asked to switch for compensation, said no, got switched anyway with no compensation
The clouds were clearing again during the day, but not for long enough for us to be lucky with the lights.  My thanks went out to the friend who advised me that they could actually be seen over the UK at the weekend, so my whole trip was pointless.

My Hunt for the Northern Lights was unsuccessful, so was it worth it?  Well, I'd spent the weekend in a cabin with my family, making jokes about being attacked by ghosts in the middle of nowhere, rested in a hammock over a frozen lake and seen my mum toast her first marshmallow over a fire.

It's not a new or original thought, but I suppose because so much had gone wrong with the journeys that it reminded me that travel isn't about why you go somewhere but what happens whilst you're there.

To be fair, it was pretty snowy.
This plane is at the gate awaiting boarding.
Somewhere behind it is a runway and the rest of the airport.

1 comment:

  1. Seeing the aurora is high on my list ... I'm waiting until my little person (now 4) is old enough to deal with the cold and also be blown away by the experience. I was in Tromso a few years ago, but during the summer to run a 10k. Cool place!

    ReplyDelete

7 Things to do in Madrid

People say that Madrid is a marmite town; you either love it or you hate it. Here are 7 ideas to help you make your opinion. 1. ...